Public Services (Uniformed) - BTEC Level 3 Diploma
This 2-year course is designed to prepare you for employment in the public services, such as the fire service, police, armed forces or related civilian occupations or for entry to university. It covers topics such as team leadership, citizenship and diversity, international institutions and human rights, understanding the impact of war, conflict and terrorism, outdoor and adventurous expeditions, crime and its effects on society, planning and management of major incidents, security procedures and police powers. The college has close links with Isleworth Fire Station, which means you will have opportunities for ‘real’ public service training.
- Key course features
BTEC Diploma in Public Services (Uniformed)
06 September 2017
- Who is this course for?
- Advanced students who are interested in a career in the armed forces or emergency services.
- About the course
Units are likely to include:
- Government policies and the services
- Team leadership in the public services
- Citizenship in the public services
- Citizenship and diversity
- Fitness testing and training
- Understanding discipline
- Physical preparation, health and lifestyle
- International institutions and human rights
- Understanding the impact of war, conflict and terrorism
- Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
- Crime and its effects on society
- Command and control
- Responding to incidents
- Planning and management of major incidents
- Practical team sports
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Police powers
- Behaviour in public service employment.
This course consists of the 90-credit Diploma in Year 1 followed by the Extended Diploma in Year 2.
- Additional opportunities
- The college has close links with Isleworth Fire Station, which means you will have opportunities for ‘real’ public service training. The teachers on the course are from uniformed and emergency services background, andvisiting speakers from the industry will come into college to lecture and provide practical training sessions. We recommend that all students doing our public service courses join a local cadet force (eg police cadets, sea cadets, air cadets, army cadets etc) which may then be used as your work experience option. You will also take place in an annual residential.
- How will I be assessed?
- The course is 100% coursework ranging from report writing to practical assessments.
- Where next?
- You can apply for employment in the public services, e.g. fire service, police, armed forces and related civilian occupations, or you may wish to progress to a higher education programme.
- Entry requirements
At least 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C / grades 9-5, or a merit or distinction in a relevant subject at Level 2 with functional skills in English and maths. If you need advice before you apply, please call 020 8326 2020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course is free for students under 19 years, however you will need to pay £30 for a uniform. There will be further costs for a residential trip, however financial assistance may be available to help with these costs.
Please see our Fees and Concessions page or call 020 8326 2015 for further details.
- How to apply?
- Please click the "apply now" button and fill out the online application form. An adviser will be in touch regarding interview dates.
BTEC Level 3 Uniformed Public Services
“The teaching I've had over the past two years has been the best that I’ve had throughout my whole educational life. I plan to join the British Army. By having the qualifications from this course, it allows me to join at the rank of an officer.”
Other Uniformed Public Services courses
Are you aged 24 or over?This course is eligible for a 24+ loan.
To find out more click here.