Applied Science (Laboratory and Industrial Science) - BTEC Level 3 Diploma
This two-year course is equivalent to 3 A Levels and covers the fundamentals of science, working in the science industry, scientific investigation and practical techniques, perceptions of science and application of numbers. You will also study mathematics, statistics, human physiology, microbiology techniques, genetics and genetic engineering, medical physics techniques, electrical circuits, chemical reactions, chemical periodicity, and organic chemistry. You will have a 2-week science-related work placement.
- Key course features
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
04 September 2017
- Who is this course for?
- For advanced students who are interested in a career in science and progressing to university. Those interested in forensic science may select forensics units.
- About the course
You will learn by completing projects and assignments based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. You will focus on a particular area and develop a range of specialist skills and knowledge.
You will study 6 core units:
- The fundamentals of science
- Working in the science industry
- Scientific investigation
- Scientific practical techniques
- Perceptions of science
- Application of numbers for science technicians.
You will then complete 13 specialist units, including:
- Mathematics for science technicians
- Statistics for science technicians
- Physiology of human body systems
- Microbiology techniques
- Genetics and genetic engineering
- Medical physics techniques
- Electrical circuits and its industrial applications
- Industrial applications of chemical reactions
- Chemical periodicity and its applications
- Industrial applications of organic chemistry.
This course consists of the 90-credit Diploma in Year 1 followed by the Extended Diploma in Year 2.
- Additional opportunities
- There are enrichment activities on the course such as university visits to discuss subject-specific issues and talks from experts on the latest developments in science. You will have a 2-week science-related work placement.
- How will I be assessed?
- The course is assessed by means of assignments which are graded, and you will also receive an overall grade for the qualification. The units Workplace practices and ICT and Laboratory management information systems contribute towards the externally assessed integrated vocational assignment.
- Where next?
- The HND in Applied Biology at West Thames College, or a degree at university such as BSc Biomedical Science, Radiography, Pharmacology or Forensic Science. If you wish to get a job straight away, you can find employment as a technician in areas such as research laboratories in pharmacies, hospital laboratories, environmental science laboratories, school and college laboratories as well as forensic science laboratories.
- Entry requirements
At least 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C / grades 9-5, preferably including science, or a Level 2 science qualification with a merit or distinction and functional skills in English and maths. If you need advice before you apply, please call 020 8326 2020 or email email@example.com.
This course is free for students under 19 years.
Please see our Fees and Concessions page or call 020 8326 2015 for further details.
- How to apply?
- Please click the "apply now" button and fill out the online application form. An adviser will be in touch regarding interview dates.
BTEC Level 2 Applied Science
"This year I really enjoyed studying physics, learning about the universe and astronomy. It's something I've studied before but not at such an advanced level. I'm going on to study the Level 3 science course and then I hope to go to university to study pharmacology."
BTEC Level 3 Applied Science
“I really enjoy BTEC science. It’s really practical and friendly and the teachers are really good. The college isn’t too big – it’s like a family. I’ve been doing work experience at Specsavers as I really want to study Optometry at university and I’ve just been accepted by City University. I’m so happy!”
Are you aged 24 or over?This course is eligible for a 24+ loan.
To find out more click here.