Performing Arts (Acting) - Level 3 Diploma
This two-year course is equivalent to 3 A Levels and is designed to help you extend your understanding of the performing arts, develop your performing skills and learn new ones in our purpose-built perfomance spaces. It combines practical assignments and the study of variety of performance arts disciplines. You will work on production projects and be involved from backstage to front-of-house.
- Key course features
Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma in Performing Arts (Acting)
06 September 2017
- Who is this course for?
- Advanced students who want to go on to a career in performing arts or an HND or degree programme.
- About the course
The course combines both practical assignments and the study of a variety of performing arts disciplines, leading to a series of production projects in the drama studio and at external venues. You will usually be in a class of about 16 students and will work on group projects as well as individual assignments. You will be encouraged to learn a range of performance skills and techniques and you will be involved in all aspects of production from backstage to front-of-house. In the second year you will produce a final major project.
The performing arts industry is highly competitive so it is essential that you possess and develop a mature and responsible attitude to your studies.
Over the two-year period the range of subjects studied include:
- Dance, drama and singing workshops
- Acting technique
- Voice and speech
- Costume design
- Mask and puppet work
- Production technology
- Arts administration
At some points in the year when productions are scheduled, you will need to be in college for extra sessions to rehearse.
You will use the college's new theatre, performance spaces, changing rooms and costume store. Your student learning adviser will guide and support you throughout your course and in the second year you will receive guidance for applications to university.
This course consists of the 90-credit Diploma in Year 1 followed by the Extended Diploma in Year 2.
- Additional opportunities
- There will be visits to a variety of performance venues as part of this course and you will perform in several productions throughout the year in our Endeavour Theatre.
- How will I be assessed?
- We encourage your active involvement in the assessment process, which is continuous throughout the year and culminates in a final major project.
- Where next?
- The Extended Diploma in Performing Arts is a nationally recognised qualification. It provides a foundation for a range of careers in the performing arts or related disciplines, or for entry into higher education, such as the HND in Performing Arts at West Thames College or a BA (Hons) degree at university.
- Entry requirements
- At least 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C / grades 9-5, or a merit or distinction in a relevant subject at Level 2 with functional skills in English and maths. You will have an audition as part of your interview. If you need advice before you apply, please call 020 8326 2020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course is free for students under 19 years.
Please see our Fees and Concessions page or call 020 8326 2015 for further details.
- How to apply?
- Please click the "apply now" button and fill out the online application form. An adviser will be in touch regarding interview dates.
Level 3 Performing Arts
"We do a lot of different genres so we can do anything that's thrown at us. The course has really helped me with my comunication skills and with auditioning. In April I played a main role in a TV show called T BOY on London Live. It was my first major performance and the course really helped me and gave me the confidence to do it."
Other Performing Arts courses
Are you aged 24 or over?This course is eligible for a 24+ loan.
To find out more click here.