This course is based in our motor vehicle workshop at the West Thames College Skills + Logistics Centre, Feltham and is accredited by the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI). You will learn theoretical and practical aspects of the essential knowledge and skills required in today's motor vehicle repair industry. You will also learn about health and safety in the workplace and other skills needed to work in a garage.
- Key course features
IMI Level 2 Subsidiary Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Technology
04 September 2017
- Who is this course for?
This flexible qualification is for students who wish to join the automotive industry. It's designed to help you develop occupational knowledge and carry out practical tasks.
- About the course
The course combines both practical and theory sessions.
You will study:
- Tyres, brakes, steering and suspension systems fault diagnosis and routine maintenance: tyre wear patterns that indicate faults in other systems; types and routine maintenance for wheel bearings; faults in braking and suspension systems; operating principles and routine maintenance for power steering systems.
- Engine fault diagnosis and routine maintenance: faults for spark ignition and diesel engines, mechanical, cooling and internal heating and air filtration systems; adjustment methods for fuel injected and carburettor systems, diesel injection systems; operation and common faults for electronic and conventional ignition systems.
- Transmission fault diagnosis and routine maintenance: common faults in final drives and drive shaft systems; operating principles and routine maintenance for automatic and manual transmission and clutch systems.
- Electrical and electronic systems fault diagnosis and routine maintenance: common faults and testing methods for battery charging, starting, and auxiliary systems.
- Health and safety: ensure your own actions reduce risks in the automotive environment.
- Additional opportunities
We arrange work experience opportunities where possible.
- How will I be assessed?
Your knowledge and skills will be assessed using a combination of methods which are set by the IMI, including:
- practical assessments in a motor vehicle workshop environment
- written knowledge assessments
- online multiple-choice testing.
- Where next?
An advanced apprenticeship, Level 3 IMI qualification or work in the industry.
- Entry requirements
- At least 2 GCSEs at grade D / grade 3 or above, or successful completion of IMI Level 1 with functional skills in English and maths. If you need advice before you apply, please call 020 8326 2020 or email email@example.com.
This course is free for students under 19 years.
Please see our Fees and Concessions page or call 020 8326 2015 for further details.
- How to apply?
- Please click the "apply now" button and fill out the online application form. An adviser will be in touch regarding interview dates.