This course covers all aspects of European hair at Level 2. You will learn how to shampoo and condition the hair and scalp, style hair using drying and setting techniques, cut, perm, neutralise and change hair colour using basic techniques and you will have L’Oreal training days in colouring. You can take part in competitions and visit trade fairs. We recommend you have salon experience whilst studying.
This course is primarily aimed at adult students aged 19+.
- Key course features
City & Guilds Level 2 VRQ Diploma in Hairdressing
08 September 2017
- Who is this course for?
- Adults who want to develop their hairdressing skills.
- About the course
You will cover all aspects of European ladies’ hairdressing, learning practical skills enhanced by theoretical knowledge. The structured and flexible programme enables you to progress and achieve a recognised qualification.
The teaching classes include:
- Practical workshops and theory
- Portfolio assignments
- Special features – trips, exhibitions, competitions (internal and external)
- Work placement/experience
- Assessment feedback on your programme.
Students are required to complete 10 units such as:
- Follow health and safety in the salon
- Client consultation for hair services
- Shampoo and condition hair and scalp
- Promote products and services to clients in a salon
- Cut women’s hair
- Cut men’s hair
- The art of dressing hair
- Colour and lighten hair
- Perm and neutralise hair
- Create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector.
- Additional opportunities
- You may have opportunities to participate in L'Oreal training days and gain certificates in colouring, visit the Salon Trade Fair, and take part in intercollege competitions. We encourage work experience.
- How will I be assessed?
Assessment is continuous throughout the course. You will develop a portfolio of evidence which includes documentation of competence from observations; oral questioning, assignments and written tests. There are four areas of assessment:
- Practical: you carry out the skill
- Oral: you answer questions on your underpinning knowledge of the skill
- Written: a portfolio of evidence or a written test or an assignment, depending on the unit.
- Online tests.
- Where next?
- Level 3 Apprenticeship in Hairdressing (with more work experience) or specialist units at Level 2 and/or employment.
- Entry requirements
- This course is aimed mainly at adults. You do not need any formal qualifications, but you must have some work experience involving dealing with the public. Good written and oral communication skills are essential. Acceptance for the course is by interview, which will be arranged on receipt of your application. If you need advice before you apply, please call 020 8326 2020 or email email@example.com.
In addition to the course fee, you will also pay a college registration fee, exam fee and materials charge and you will need to purchase a hairdressing kit and uniform. Fees may be subject to change.
Please see our Fees and Concessions page or call 020 8326 2015 for further details.
- How to apply?
- Please click the "apply now" button and fill out the online application form. An adviser will be in touch regarding interview dates.