This part-time evening course for adults is based in our professional kitchens at the West Thames College Skills + Logistics Centre, Feltham. You will increase your professional skills and gain the techniques needed to work in the modern hospitality and catering industry. You will also gain qualifications in food hygiene and health and safety.
The course runs from Monday to Wednesday evenings from 6-9pm for 1 year.
- Key course features
- NVQ Level 2 Diploma
- RSH Essential Food Hygiene
- CIEH Basic Health and Safety
18 September 2017
- Who is this course for?
- Adults aged 19+ want to go into a career in professional cookery.
- About the course
This course is based in our professional kitchens at the Feltham Skills Centre. You will increase your professional skills and gain the techniques needed to work in the modern hospitality and catering industry.
You will complete the following units:
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working
- Contribute to effective teamwork
- Maintain food safely when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain, handle and clean knives
- Prepare fish, meat, poultry, game, offal and vegetables for basic dishes
- Process dried ingredients prior to cooking
- Prepare and mix spice and herb blends
- Prepare, cook and finish basic dishes including shellfish, meat, poultry, game, offal and vegetable
- Make basic stock
- Prepare, cook and finish basic soups, hot sauces, rice dishes, grain dishes, pasta dishes, vegetable protein dishes and egg dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cakes, sponges, biscuits, scones, bread and dough products, pastry products, hot and cold desserts
- Produce healthier dishes
- Prepare and present food for cold presentation
- Prepare, cook and finish basic dim sum and noodle dishes
- Prepare and cook food using a tandoor
- Cook-chill food
- Cook-freeze food
- Complete kitchen documentation
- Set up and close kitchen
- Order stock
- Liaise with care team to ensure that individual nutritional needs are met
- Prepare meals to meet the requirements set for school meals
You will also gain qualifications in food hygiene and health and safety.
- RSH Essential Food Hygiene covers pathogenic micro-organisms, food poisoning, personal hygiene, temperature control, kitchen design, kitchen pests and food legislation.
- CIEH Basic Health and Safety provides you with health and safety understanding.
- Additional opportunities
- Work experience opportunities may be available.
- How will I be assessed?
- You will be assessed via practical assessments and written assignments.
- Where next?
- Progress to the NVQ Level 3 Professional Cookery, employment in the catering industry and/or an advanced apprenticeship.
- Entry requirements
- You need to have already achieved the NVQ Level 1 Diploma or equivalent. If you need advice before you apply, please call 020 8326 2020 or email email@example.com.
The course may be free if you are:
- aged 19+ and in receipt of an active benefit (eg JSA or ESA)
- aged 19+, unemployed and in receipt of a means-tested benefit (eg income support), and you are doing this course to improve your employment prospects
- aged 19-23 and don't already have a Level 2 qualification.
Please see our Fees and Concessions page or call 020 8326 2015 for further details.
- How to apply?
- Please click the "apply now" button and fill out the online application form. An adviser will be in touch regarding interview dates.