This course is ideal for those who would like to progress to a Higher Education course in the field of health care, in particular Midwifery. The key modules for this pathway are: Midwifery Studies, Psychology, Health Science and Sociology. You will learn study skills such as note taking, essay writing, reading and research, preparation for exams and oral presentation.
- Key course features
Level 3 Access to Midwifery
04 September 2017
- Who is this course for?
- This course is ideal for those who would like to progress to a Higher Education course in the field of health care, in particular Midwifery.
- About the course
- This course is ideal for those who would like to progress to a Higher Education course in the field of health care, in particular Midwifery. The key modules for this pathway are: Midwifery Studies, Psychology, Health Science and Sociology. You will learn study skills such as note taking, essay writing, reading and research, preparation for exams and oral presentation.
The list below shows the range of units normally offered on the programme. The units offered are reviewed periodically to meet the interests and progression aims of the students on the course and may change slightly.
All units are Level 3. To pass the Diploma you must achieve 60 credits.
The Blood, The Reproductive System, Human Biology, Nutrition, Digestion and Excretion, The Cardiovascular System, Cells, Human Tissues and Systems and Human Physiology
- Midwifery Studies
Role of the Health & Social Care Profession, Role of the Midwife in Antenatal Care, Post-natal care of Mother and Baby and Role of the Midwife during labour and birth
- Study Skills
Essay Writing, Reading and Comprehension of text, Report Writing, Finding and Reading Information, Writing and Delivering Seminar papers
- Additional opportunities
- Work experience forms an essential part of the course and where appropriate will be supported by the college.
- How will I be assessed?
- Your development and progress on the course will be assessed on a regular basis both informally and formally. You will receive regular feedback from your tutors about your progress.
The assessment procedures vary from module to module and so will depend on what you are studying; there will be some set essays, coursework projects, and tests throughout the course. All of the modules use continuous assessment processes, which means that there is no dependence on final examinations (except GCSE Maths, English and Science).
As you go through the course you will know whether you are meeting the requirements or not, and you will be given opportunities to catch up and make good any problems.
- Where next?
- On completion of this course you may progress to a degree in Midwifery.
- Entry requirements
- Universities require learners to have GCSEs and are expected to have experience of voluntary or paid work in a health care setting to progress onto a degree in midwifery.
To join an Access course, students must already have either their GCSE Maths or GCSE English (or both at grade A*-C / grade 9-5). If you need to achieve either your GCSE Maths or English qualifications, we will enrol you on this when you join the Access course and you will study this GCSE as you also study for your Access course.
Please note that this is a very demanding course, equivalent to an A-Level programme, so you will need to have a good level of literacy and numeracy (GCSE grade A-C standard / grade 9-5) in order to succeed. You will have an initial assessment to assess your suitability for the course. If successful, you will be invited for an interview. If you are not quite ready for the Access course we may offer you another course that will prepare you for the Access course.
There may be additional fees for materials, course kits and DBS checks. Fees may be subject to change. If you are over 19 you may be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan. Please visit our Advanced Learner Loans page for more details or call 020 8326 2015.
- How to apply?
- Please click the "apply now" button and fill out the online application form. An adviser will be in touch regarding interview dates.