We believe that working together with parents and guardians is key to our students’ success. We strongly recommend that you come with your son or daughter, or the young person in your care, to an open day and course interviews.
We also recommend that you read Information for Parents 2016-17. This will give you all the information you need about the college, what we expect of our students (our Standards for Success), key events and dates for your diary, and advice about how you can help to support your son or daughter to ensure they succeed on their course.
Parents and guardians of all students under 19 years are invited to at least three events at the college each year:
- Introduction to West Thames College. This takes place in September. You will have the opportunity to meet the Principal, find out more about the college and how you as a parent or guardian can get involved to support your son or daughter and help them succeed on their course.
- First parents' evening. This takes place in October. You will meet your son or daughter's course tutor/s to discuss how they are settling into the course and the college.
- Second parents' evening. This takes place in March. It will give you an opportunity to discuss your son or daughter's progress and achievements on the course with the course tutor and also to discuss any issues that may have arisen, or how you can support your son or daughter through their exam preparation and assignments.
- Higher Education [HND, Foundation Degree or BA Hons Degree - i.e. university level qualifications at Level 4 and higher.] Information Evening. If your son or daughter is on a Level 3 course and thinking about going to university, you will be invited (along with your son or daughter) to attend this special event. Guest speakers from partner universities will give presentations, and you will be able to ask questions and get advice about university life and finances.
- Shows and performances. Creative and performing arts students put on many shows throughout the year, culminating in end of year shows at Creative Arts Week in June. Make sure you receive an invitation if your son or daughter is performing.
- Student Awards Ceremony. Most of our students are successful, but some are outstanding and have gone that extra mile to achieve amazing things. Our end of year award ceremony recognises the achievements of these outstanding students. Award winners will be invited to bring 2 guests to the ceremony.